Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I Have An Addiction to New Beginnings

To my loved ones back home, I have arrived and am safe in Tbilisi.

       I am staying at the aptly named "Soul House Hostel," a recommendation by my fellow traveler Justina. It hasn't even been 24 hours since I arrived and I'm already convinced that I won't want to stay anywhere else in Tbilisi. From the moment I showed up on their doorstep (quite literally) this family has been going to bat for me.

       My cab driver (his name was Giorgi if you can believe it) had promised that my belongings and I would be delivered to the address I provided for 25 lari. I agreed as the standard fare from the airport is between 20 and 30 lari. Giorgi insisted upon our arrival at Soul House that we agreed upon 35 lari despite our lengthy conversation in Georgian during the ride. I may have been jet-lagged but I was not confused and I'm pleased to say that I have retained most of my Georgian despite the month long hiatus. Well, the owners of Soul House immediately pounced upon the man, yelling at him in Georgian. I gave him 30 and he went away. (Giorgi wanted me to marry one of his sons. He can definitely forget about it now!) The woman(as soon as I learn her name I will share it) coming to my defense helped me carry my luggage up to my bed ranting about lying taxi drivers the whole way. I love her.

       I have since slept in a well heated room and took a long, hot shower. The two cats here are especially wonderful. I snuggled with the black one with one white whisker for a good part of last night. Between the comfortable beds, the heating, the endless supply of hot water, the cats, and the beyond hospitable owners for only 20 lari a night, Soul House hostel is highly recommended by me to whomever is also wandering through Tbilisi. I have provided their link below:

https://www.facebook.com/soulhousehosteltbilisi

       I had quite a bit of time to reflect on the 6 months ahead during my long flight from Seattle to Amsterdam. I also used that time to read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I can confidently say that returning to Georgia is one part of fulfilling my "Personal Legend." When I stepped over the threshold into the Tbilisi airport I was greeted by the words "Tbilisi, The City That Loves You" and I was filled with a peace that I didn't know was missing during my vacation at home. A man called "Modi" to his small child and I grinned like the happy idiot I am.

       Is it possible that I feel more at home in another country? Maybe. I have a family here, not to mention some of the best friends I have ever made. I am excited to discover the new connections and relationships that another semester here promises and I am eager to rediscover and strengthen the bonds that I had the dumb, blind luck to stumble upon last semester. My future is promising and the joy I feel at being back in this wonderful country is second to none.

       To my loved ones back home, be comforted knowing that I am happy and know that I am thinking of you. You are what Georgia is missing and (while I am thrilled to be here) visiting regularly, returning home into your arms will be sweet and will always be my priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.